December 7, 2011

I'm 30, and I don't give a damn!

Yep, I'm 30. And career-less (but working towards a new one). And most of all, happy! At one time, I was 27 with a blossoming career in advertising, and a good salary. And then I trashed it all for a life in the woods, because I knew that if I stuck to khakis and cubicles, I'd be one miserable sob for the rest of my life. And, who has time for unhappiness?

After returning home from hiking the AT, I was hopelessly directionless. I compared myself to my peers, saying, "I'm now 28 and have no direction, but I should have a clear direction and be settled like everyone else." It took me some time, post-hike, to discover this one very important lesson: I don't need to be like everyone else. I had finally let go of what I thought I was supposed to be doing, and continued doing what I am supposed to be doing: living a life that works for me. Society says that we should fit a certain mold, but I'm choosing to carve out my own path.

Over the last few years, I have managed to piece together some incredible adventures; I have lived. And if I was still working in advertising, then I'd slowly be dying, not knowing the real me and what I'm truly capable of.

So...Yep, I'm 30. And career-less. And most of all, happy!

1 comment: