April 3, 2012

50 Days

A beautifully colored set of 12 ACA maps, outlining a ribbon of magical mystery from coast to coast, has arrived. I've looked over what my first few days will be; I have never been more excited to pedal down the Oregon coast. I'm picturing endless blue skies, cotton ball clouds, crashing waves, and a light warm breeze. In all likelihood, it will pour buckets, just because I'm an '09 AT hiker (my '09 comrades can commiserate).


I intently studied all of the famous passes on the TransAm, and wondered how ridiculously hard they will be, or easy? The Rockies are so different than the Appalachians, and I'm thinking that biking them will be similar to hiking them; fairly level terrain, very gradual ups, summiting a pass, and very gradual downs. Cycling the Appalachians should be as manic as hiking them; rolling hills, and crazy steep ups and downs (sometimes for absolutely no reason), or as hikers call them, PUDS (pointless ups and downs). I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to fall in love with cycling the Rockies. 

There will be lots of blood, sweat and tears between OR and the Appalachians, but I'm already supremely excited to cycle through a half-dozen trail towns in VA that I've visited on foot. One town in particular: Catawba- To once again, eat myself into a miserable oblivion at the Homeplace Restaurant. The day my crew and I arrived in Catawba was also the day of our most ridiculous hitchhike. Period. Read about it here. You're welcome, ladies. 

Well, I've collected everything I need. I put new tires on my bike, am still breaking in my Brooks Saddle, picked up a fancy jersey with REI dividends, mastered clipless pedals (without falling!), and, thanks to Andy, in a few days will be learning how to replace cables, adjust shifters and derallieurs, true a wheel and replace broken spokes. In other words, I'm ready. 

Andy.

Tires.

2 comments:

  1. Is Andy riding a giant tricycle? Awesome. I SO can't wait to see how this all unfolds, Stormy. :)

    ReplyDelete