April 12, 2012

Cut it out

To sum up the way of life on the AT, this feeling was mutual throughout the hiking community: it cuts the bullshit out of life.

Now, dear readers, I am doing my best to keep foul language to a minimum, as some younger eyes may be lurking; I'm undecided if I will share this blog with students. But, I will insert where necessary.

Back to cutting out the bullshit.

Life on the trail is just as hard, as it is easy. There are no amenities or comforts, no sinks to brush your teeth in, no electrical outlets, and toilets consist of either a dirty privy, or a self-dug hole in the ground. A few times I feared the privy collapsing, and crashing into months worth of a very tall shit cone.

That's an easy life, ya say? Yes, so stupidly easy. What's simpler than having everything you need to live in one bag, slung over your shoulders? I challenge you to disagree.

I realize I will be in civilization way more often than hiking allows for, but the concept is the same: my bike will haul everything I need to live. It will carry my house, closet, kitchen, bathroom, bed, tool box, and on some occassions, a garden.

I'm anxious to, once again, cut the bullshit out of life, and return to the simplicity of a necessity-based existence. It's when I feel most alive.







3 comments:

  1. I really, really love all of these photos. And what's this about a garden? I wanna cut it out too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be hauling fresh veggies when I can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I can see where this trip will be different from the hike, in that you can more easily get to stores, etc. But as you point out, you will be carrying your entire world on your bike. I can't WAIT to see your bike fully loaded.

    ReplyDelete