July 7, 2012

Lamont to Rawlins

35 miles. Don't judge.

Since McKinley and I are feeling stressed to make up miles and Bill is ready to stop biking, he's going to sag us for a bit. We plan to do all centuries (or more), back to back. That should help us get through Colorado quickly, and straight into the flat, hot plains of Kentucky.

I am certain I will be the first person to cross the country by bicycle, and actually gain weight. Is that even possible? I mean, we bike all day, so how am I sporting a gut? Once we hit va, I'm going on an all-vegetable diet, so I may be found passed out on the side of the road, starved and malnourished.

Not to keep complaining about head winds, but when will we get a tail wind? When the wind is in our favor, it lasts maybe a mile or 2, and turns around to smack us in the face or side. We are constantly in a head wind; It's tough, mentally, to want to keep riding all day. Today, I fought to pedal at 8 mph on a downhill. That's slow.

Tomorrow we are going to push as far as we can, hopefully 90-100 miles. Once Bill gets a rental car, he will meet back up and start sagging. For now, he's going to figure out how the heck to get out of the middle of nowhere. Apparently, Rawlins has lots of fast food, but no way to leave unless you have a bike or your own car.

Wyoming has been hot, virtually cloudless, and treeless. It is desert-like, dry, and brown with specks of a sage green. Today, I found a cactus when attempting to hide behind a 1 foot tall shrub to pee; the desert is not conducive to a female peeing  roadside. Though Wyoming sounds ugly and boring, it has been beautiful. I am, however, looking forward to some new roads and landscape.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Patrice, I've been wondering about the sun, wind and relentless miles. I would think once the terain flattens that you can increase miles, but the sun and wind will be a factor.
    At any rate, you are amazing!! Use the sag wagon while you can!!

    ReplyDelete