July 2, 2012

Tetons to Dubois

65 miles. A million cyclists.

Today brought us a huge climb up Togwotee Pass. About 5 of the 20ish miles had to be in the back of a pickup due to massive construction. There's a road crew that shuttles cyclists through the disaster zone, and acts as the pilot car, leading a line of traffic up the pass. The section we were shuttled up, luckily, was the steepest. I couldn't complain.

We were passed by 60 cyclists on road bikes, all being sagged across the US. Wimps! Kidding. But there's nothing like a self-supported adventure.

We took a long siesta at a lodge half way up the pass, and napped on their porch. McKinley and I arrived an hour before poppa McKinley, so we got pizza and beer while we waited for Bill.

This morning as we turned away from the Tetons, we kept getting distracted with taking pictures. Photos will never capture the magnitude of the mountains, so it almost feels pointless to try, but I couldn't stop. They are some of the most beautiful mountains I've ever seen.

Speaking of mountains, we are now riding through the Wind River Range. The mountains are pink sandstone, perfectly striped with ribbons of white. They look like the Painted Hills in Oregon, though I didn't go off route to see them.

We need to start figuring out how we are getting around the wild fires in Colorado, because I heard a few passes we cross are closed. I sure hope Hoosier Pass is clear, it's where we cross the Rockies and is the highest pass on the TransAm, reaching nearly 12,000 feet. I've been excited about it since I started planning this adventure.

Bed time, my eyes are sleepy.




1 comment:

  1. I've wondered how the Colorado fires could affect your ride. Just terrible. You are having an awesome journey!!

    ReplyDelete