July 20, 2012

Leoti

Oh, how exhaustion has won again.

McKinley and I set our alarms for 4:30 am, but since our dumb (smart)phones never reset to Central Time, we woke up an hour late. During breakfast, neither of us could keep our eyes open, I could barely function; we decided to go back to sleep and just bang out a big day tomorrow. Big days are usually the plan, though we often do not make it quite as far.

New plan of action: get the entire riding day done by lunch, instead of trying to sleep in 100 degree shade to then continue riding into the night, never gaining enough sleep. Every day we seem to scheme up a new plan to avoid heat and exhaustion; we're still learning, apparently.

This rest days topic: the people of small-town America.

The majority of towns we pass through have a population of 300 or less, many being well under 100. When we hit a town with a population of over 500, it feels like being in the Big Apple. Excitement pours over me, knowing there might be options, as far as eateries and groceries go.

Anyway, back to the people. Towns are small, rugged, blue-collar communities with, typically, a one-stop shop. Everyone knows everyone, naturally. In small towns, there is a ton of pride. Every person knows the history of their community, which is something to be said, because after living 31 years in the same town, I couldn't give such a detailed description. At first glance, I would think some of these towns we're unsafe, when in reality, I've met some of the kindest, most generous and interesting people who probably do not even lock their doors. Every person who has chatted us up about our trip has been generally interested in what we are doing, and concerned for our safety. They give us road descriptions, and tell us where to watch out for crazy drivers. Small town America is much friendlier than any city I have ever been in, and I often feel more comfortable rolling through a town of 53 than 5,000; it just frustrates me, sometimes, to be limited to pre-packaged sandwiches and a lack of produce and fresh food.

This trip has made me more comfortable in these tiny, quiet towns, rather than in large, bustling communities.

Photo: spread night! We finally found a regular grocery store with produce...PRODUCE!


3 comments:

  1. Interesting comments, Patrice. I think I'd be bored in these small midwest towns, but I'm sure the people are helpful and interested in your journey. You are truly getting a REAL experience with the diversity of our country. Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. I lived in a town of 500 people until I was in fourth grade. We then moved to the Big City of Polo, IL, which had 2600 people. It felt VERY big, especially at first.

    Both had their charms...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you stopped in Leoti and that we were able to offer some fresh produce from our store! Thanks for appreciating rural America!

    ReplyDelete