July 14, 2012

Pueblo

Zero miles. Happy birthday, McKinley!

After driving all over Colorado, I'm tired. Bill took us up to Colorado Springs, Denver, and a stop at Garden of the Gods. It's been a long day. Oh, and we both now have Keen bike sandals.

I said I would write about other things on off days, so I'll continue the trend.

Lately, I've been thinking about how long distance hiking and biking differ. One major difference on a bike, is that you get to experience a variety of places and landscapes in a short time. Hiking allows you to see a chain of mountains, beautiful vistas, and occasionally a town, but not see much beyond the mountains. On a bike, the ground beneath your tires is constantly changing. Being so mobile, you get to see a more expansive view of what each state has to offer. Though I'm only riding a thin ribbon through each state, I feel like I'm still seeing more of a variety via bicycle, than on foot. Not to discount hiking, it's my first love, but I'm just detailing a difference that I enjoy.

What I love about bike touring, is that I'm seeing so much in one short summer. I already can't wait for the next bike adventure.

Tomorrow, it's back to businesses, and by business, I mean biking and siesta-ing. Now that we're lower in elevation and hitting the plains, it's insanely hot. Hello, night riding!




1 comment:

  1. Patrice, I've always thought that I would enjoy driving cross country to experience each location, however, I know that biking it gives you a hugely different experience. Of course as opposed to hiking. Well, the majority of people could not even think of doing what you are and that is SO cool!
    Happy travels!
    Let me know if you see Dorothy or the Wicked Witch of the North!! Kansas...
    Joan

    ReplyDelete