May 29, 2012

Astoria to Cannon Beach

Day 1. 31 miles. Goonies never say die.

Here I am, settling in for my first night on the road. It's been an interesting day.

Last night I was sleeping by 8, finally a solid nights sleep. I only woke up once around 10, and that was to shut the tv. Man was I exhausted from all the fun and running around.

This morning, I found my way to the Maritime Museum, the western terminus of the TransAm. My stomach felt like it did on Springer Mountain day, I couldn't eat much and it was doing flips. Anyway, I took off from the museum, and it felt like I was only out for a little day trip. Not sure when the magnitude of this trip will hit me.

Leaving Astoria was a little confusing, and instead of following the official route, I rode the 101 all the way. I was supposed to be on some paralleling roads for a part of that section...oops.

I made my way to Seaside where I was finally able to do my ceremonial wheel dip. Pushing a fully loaded bike on a very long stretch of sand is like trying to run in a pool. Glad I only have to do it once more.

Awesome landmark of the day: the rock formations in the ocean from The Goonies. I could just picture the ship with One-eyed Willie!

The riding was easy, and the weather was relatively good; I suppose overcast is normal for this area. The sunshine on my face for half of the day sure was a welcome treat.

I crapped out at mile 30 today, though I had planned on 50. Exhaustion hit me, and my stomach was angry; I think I ate way too much cheese at lunch. So I took my time drinking tea and making a few calls from Cannon Beach, until I found my way to a lovely campground recommended by the bike shop. The only sucky part is paying to sleep on a patch of grass. I tried hard to find a bbq in town to crash (its Memorial day) but no such luck. Thought I could score a free yard to sleep in, but oddly, nobody was having a party. Oh well.

Day 1: check. No pain, no sore muscles, just tired. Success!

Note to self: off-brand raspberry crumble is a disgrace to backpacking desserts.

3 comments:

  1. Patrice, I am thinking of you daily. SO interested in how you are feeling and where you find to stay. Thanks for sending your location so I can picture the roads. Of course, the TransAmerican Bike Trail doesn't want to provide that without cost.
    Keep us posted, biker chick!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you found any other bikers yet to socialize/converse with???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of-brand raspberry crumble? What were you thinking? ;) XOXO

    ReplyDelete