May 21, 2012

Tick Tock

I leave in less than 2 days.

Life lately has been a whirlwind. Exams are in the bag, I registered for fall classes, financial aid paperwork is complete (in which I'm consistently denied), my bike and belongings have landed safely in Seattle, a birthday/bon voyage party has been had, and a mound of other life things are mostly complete. Today was my last day at work until September.

In the morning I have a meeting, coffee with a friend, still need to put together a book shelf for my mom, change the air filter, organize my bank account and bills, purchase the remainder of my best friends birthday present, and finish laundry. You could say I'm moderately stressed.

Leaving for an extended period is always overwhelming, but once an adventure begins, all stress seems to get swept under the rug until "real" life happens again. That's the beauty of adventure.

Funniest birthday present: hand-knit ear warmers that attach to my helmet




Most thoughtful birthday present: Joan's bicycle charm that she's had for 25 years; she wants to see it cross the country. I feel responsible for this delicate piece of jewelry, and honored to carry it with me.

Last week, I was invited to the home of 2 perfect strangers (and their 2 adorable little boys) for dinner to discuss my plans, and hear about their previous bicycle adventures. Okay, they are not total strangers, but we've never met. Mike's mother and my mother have been friends since highs school, and he biked across the US twice; once solo, and once with his then girlfriend, now wife. It was such a pleasure to share stories with interesting, generous, like-minded folks. We do live in a neat world, filled with extraordinary human beings.

Maybe I'll write from Seattle, maybe I wont. Here goes nothing.

"Make voyages. Attempt them. There's nothing else." -Tennessee Williams

2 comments:

  1. Patrice, I am honored to have my bicycle charm make it cross country, especially with you!! Best wishes for an awesome adventure! You are awesome!
    Will keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete