May 31, 2012

Tillamook to Grand Ronde

Day 3. 65 ass-kicking miles. My face looks like a black and white cookie.

I underestimated todays mileage by about 6 miles, oops. But I have to say, I'm pretty damn proud. Pedaling my longest day ever with a loaded bike and a few bitchy climbs was difficult, but with an early start, I knew I would be fine. I am spent.

The appetite is already raging. I stopped for a second breakfast of grilled cheese and potato chips in Pacific City. Mmm, it was greasy and crunchy and oozed Tillamook cheddar.

After I left town, I met 2 other cyclists: Nick from Portland, and John from Chicago. They are only out for a few days and are on the Pacific Coast route. We cycled probably 15 miles on and off together, and then our routes split ways. It was a welcome treat to ride with people, even though we didn't talk much while riding. And it gave me a break from navigating! 

I've noticed that lots of people have cars on their property that are being "worked on," however, it looks like they haven't been touched in ages. Some areas remind me of the south  and my time on the AT.

Eastern Oregon has tons of beautiful old growth forests. The trees limbs are carpeted with thick blankets of moss stretching all the way their tops, it is just breathtaking. The forests look similar to those in Maine, and have that alpine air scent. I'm pedaling through little bits of heaven, for the most part.

My face got a heavy dose of sunburn today because I forgot to put on sunblock. Dang. So my nose and cheeks down is red, and from my nose up is ghostly. Sunblock tomorrow.

Ok, time for bed. My brain is getting mushy.

2 comments:

  1. OK, grilled cheese and potato chips is just way too wonderful to be eating! Don't forget sunblock! Keep that beautiful young skin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like such a beautiful part of the country (excluding the non-functional cars, of course)...

    ReplyDelete