May 25, 2012

Seattle, Poulsbo and a middle finger to the USPS

I heart Seattle. I could definitely live here if I were forced to reside in another time zone. There's plenty of friendly people, and everyone is on bicycles. And it doesn't hurt that the men are easy on the eyes.

My first day on the west coast was spent zipping all around town...well, maybe not zipping since I was on foot. But a true delight, indeed.

Highlights of day 1: the music museum, which featured an awesome Nirvana exhibit of Kurt Cobains smashed guitars and memorabilia, Pikes Market (twice), donuts, a live butterfly exhibit (I made great friends with one), Thai food with Courtney and Josh, and beer with new friends Mike (a friend of Persistent's) and Scott. It was a whirlwind of a day, and with the time change, I was awake for almost 24 hours.

Highlights of day 2: conversations with the chatty bus driver, coffee from Milstead & Co in Fremont, another visit to Pikes Market, the ferry ride to Bainbridge Island (most luxurious ferry I've ever been on!), and lunch on the water with Daks and Tiffany.

Things I've learned so far: it doesn't actually rain all the time in Seattle, it's just often overcast and the sky spits from time to time, Seattle has impressively steep hills for being coastal, gooey ducks (a weird Asian delicacy dug up on the shoreline here) are huge and phallic-like, and naked mole rats are as creepy looking in person as they are in photos.

Daks and Tiffany (and Watson, the pup) are wonderful hosts. I have been driven all over creation, getting things settled for my trip. Unfortunately, a box of my most important and expensive gear is mia. Thanks a lot, USPS. Lost somewhere in America are both racks, panniers, my sleeping bag that holds sentimental value, helmet with my new ear warmers attached, down jacket, bike shoes, crocs, water bladder, top tube bag, rain pants, sleeping pad, and a brand new U lock. I've lost probably $700 worth of stuff. Am I mad? No. But I'm supremely frustrated, and sad about my sleeping bag; my gut says it will all turn up, it's just a matter of when. Plus it's insured, so I'll get refunded if it truly is lost. Thankfully, my dark chocolate peanut butter was in the box that arrived, that makes everything better. Ha!

My plan is to repurchase everything at REI, and if the box shows up, I'll have it mailed back home and deal with it when I return.

This has been a frustrating and bumpy start, but I'm doing my best to roll with it. Something I learned from 6 months of living out of a backpack is that this is all just stuff, and it can all be replaced.

Tomorrow, it's off to REI and Oregon. Big day Sunday! (unless it's pouring, in which I will lie in a hotel bed eating that peanut butter and cursing the postal system)

More soon, after I have demolished my bank account on new gear and rocked my way down the beautiful Oregon coast! Wahoooooo!

(Keep your fingers, toes, and legs crossed that my box arrives before we leave!)

2 comments:

  1. Oh Patrice, such a drag about your gear!! Hopefully they can trace it? You have a great attitude about that and my guess is that it came from your AT experience. Seattle sounds really nice! Of course, good friends always makes a place better. Thinking of you and look forward to more journal entries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seattle sounds like such a great city. Everyone who has visited raves about it. Maybe one day!

    In any case, we will be following your progress closely!

    ReplyDelete