May 12, 2012

Elefante

That's Elefante, he's my traveling companion.
































The story of Elefante started about 2 summers ago. My friend, Persistent and I, have been meeting in Cook Forest State Park a few times a year; it is our halfway meeting spot between Michigan and New Jersey. The first time we stayed, we rented a room in a cozy rustic lodge. Apparently, the only rooms available were shoe box-sized lovers nests; we laughed, and signed our names. We're hikers and are used to sleeping shoulder to shoulder with strangers, so sharing a double bed with a buddy is no big deal.

The room came furnished with a shiny brass elephant, maybe the size of a softball. For some reason, we both loved that elephant. Later that night, we designated it the official bed separator, shoved it between us, had too many giggles over it (that may or may not have been fueled by wine) and called it a night.

As a joke, P mailed me a plastic elephant. I named him Elefante and placed him on my dashboard, where he's lived happily ever since. And now he's graduated to riding the top tube, where the wind will always be at his face.

I've been told elephants are good luck charms, so I hope Elefante brings lots of it to me.

Trunks up!

1 comment:

  1. YES! Elephante gets his blog debut! SO excited he's taking this trip with you. Oh, that fateful moment when I plucked him off the shelf instead of the other plastic animals...

    ReplyDelete