June 14, 2012

Baker City to Oxbow

Day 14. 70.5 miles. Wowzers!

This has been one very long day with nearly 10 hours in the saddle...breaks included. For the first time on this trip, I'm so very exhausted. I'm ready to call it a day.

McKinley and I both ate a double breakfast. I had 3 large pancakes, 2 eggs, 2 pieces of toast, hash browns, and coffee. Mmm, it was delicious, and I needed all the carbs for the long day.

We left with Kim but since McKinley and I wanted to stop at the Oregon trail interpretive center, we didn't really see Kim until the end of the day. She ended up riding with Frank, Roger and another guy who's name I can't recall (exhausted).

I like riding with McKinley; we've got the same pace and like to take long breaks, so we make great ride partners. Our lunch break turned into another tube-changing session; this is her third flat in 2 days. She finally found the piece of wire causing the problem, success! Productivity at its finest.

We stopped in Richland for a second lunch; it was probably the most un adult lunch I've ever had: a whole big bag of salt and pepper potato chips, a snickers bar, a Pepsi and an ice cream sandwich. I think I covered all the important food groups.

After the steep 5 mile ascent, we both wanted to punch things. It was long and hot, and my skin continued to fry, despite a million sun block applications. My cycling tan, however, is coming along very nicely. It's actually ridiculous looking, I love it.

Despite the very long, exhausting day, I rode strong all day, up to the last minute. We hammered the downhills and flats, and even the last few rollers we conquered easily. I'm so proud that I rode 70 very strong miles today. I feel awesome...and tired. Good night, Oregon. Tonight is our last night together.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa!!! Leaving Oregon! Amazing! I am impressed with not only your diet, but that you are picking up "biker" or "bikie" language. Love the words hammered, rode strong, in the saddle.... love it, Patrice! Don't be a wheel sucker!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, but sucking wheel is one of the most glorious feelings as a cyclist. 1) You conserve/share energy with other cyclists. 2) If you are riding with someone a little stronger than you, and you keep up...it means you can KEEP UP :-) 3) I totally love the Zen feeling that comes over me when I'm tucked up behind someone, reducing my world entirely to focusing on their rear wheel (and a little bit beyond, just in case I need to avoid something in the road).

    ReplyDelete