June 6, 2012

Prineville to Mitchell

Day 10. 49 miles. Today was like riding on Mother Natures bosom, as quoted by Ross.

I am riding with a few Wisconsinites, Ross and Bob; they are a hilarious duo and I'm loving their company. I think they also love mine, because they've dubbed me Little Miss Sunshine, since today was their very first day of sunshine. I brought them good weather, and the rest of my cookies from the Mennenites. Also, Ross has dubbed me P-Funk.

I don't even know how to describe todays awesomeness, it was simply amazing. Blue skies, the easiest pass known to man, high desert and buttes, and gorgeous landscape for miles and miles. I couldn't have asked for a better day, and I had great company to share all of this joy with. Chewing tangerine gum and blowing bubbles coming into town also made me happy. It's the little things.

We climbed Ochoco Pass, and cruised downhill for 11 fast miles. Well dontcha know another bee nearly had me. At 30 mph, all I saw was a flash of yellow and black, and BAM, he smashed right into my top lip. I came away unscathed this time; I can't imagine how a bee sting to the face would feel. But now I'm gun shy about fast descents.

We arrived in Mitchell and met more TransAm cyclists, hooray! Leslie is a second year student at Berkley and traveling with a guy who I did not meet. There's also a few others staying in town.

I had a very long conversation with a local who works for ODOT about gardening; he's obsessed with his creation. Did you know there's such thing as Walla Walla onions and Sweet Texas onions? Me neither. I long for a garden after seeing his excitement to raise an array of vegetables. We also discussed rattle snakes; he kills them for fun, and also to keep others safe. Post conversation, he drove home, grabbed the rattles from a timber rattler and diamondback (from his jarred collection) and dropped them in my hand. This is how I will always remember Mitchell, Oregon. I wish I asked him his name.

What a fantastic day. Looking forward to another sweet-ass day in the saddle!

4 comments:

  1. Hooray! This sounds like a blast, Stormy. Glad you're livin' it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, Patrice! Little Miss Sunshine! I like it! See what a difference it makes to cycle with others. I can hear the difference in your tone. May it continue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, here's how to keep the bees from stinging you on descents: ride faster...I usually aimed for about 40-48 mph on the downhills, and never had problems with stinging insects :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's SO good that you met other people! I'm sure that you'll make many new friends on this trip...

    And certainly the advice from Chris sounds reasonable! :-)

    ReplyDelete