June 2, 2012

Coburg to McKenzie Bridge

Day 6. 54 miles. Tearing it up.

I'm now in the Cascade Mountain region!

Today I felt so strong and made great timing, even with lots of rest breaks.

I packed up a soaking wet tent, which always sucks. The sky only spit on me for 20 minutes, and the rest of the day shuffled back and forth between overcast and sunny. My skin finally had a break from the sun, so my sunburn is now turning to a tan.

Animals I've encountered so far: horses, cows, sheep, goats, buffalo, steer, llamas, turkeys, turkey vultures, chickens, roosters, snakes, dogs, cats, and an array of birds. I've also noticed lots of dead red and black butterflies.

The road kill encounters: a few deer, 2 skunks, racoons, birds, 2 snakes, and a ton of unidentifiable animals.

Fact: dead skunk spray can still be smelled nearly a quarter mile later.

Tomorrow is McKenzie Pass - 25 miles of climbing, followed by 20ish miles of a downhill coast. Yahoo! That will be a sweet payoff.

Keep your fingers crossed I make it up without chucking my bike off the mountain.

And one last very important thing: map #1 is complete!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. 54 miles? And McKenzie Pass approaching? You are making great time! Although I wouldn't be able to keep up with you, it would be fun to travel with you for a couple of days. Ideally on some level ground... Let us know how The Pass goes? Don't chuck the bike!!!

    ReplyDelete