June 8, 2012

Dayville to Prairie City

Day 12. 45 miles. Fried fish for lunch = stomach ache all day.

I crossed the 500 mile mark today, how great is that! And I just found 5 dollars, today has been a good day.

Another lovely day in paradise. The weather was beautiful with blue skies and cotton ball clouds. And we had a saweeeet tail wind for most of the day, making for fast miles.

As I rode through the valley and stared up at 7,000 foot snow-capped mountains, I couldn't help but smile. What a backdrop to ride through: grassy green meadows with cows and horses, and gigantic mountains dwarfing the landscape.

Instead of camping on the pass, we're in town; there's snow in the forecast tonight at those elevations, and I'd prefer a warm room over waking up in snow. I hope the weather clears up by the time we have to climb the first pass of the day.

Tomorrow, I lose my new touring buddies. Ross and Bob are going to take the Lewis and Clark to the Northern Tier across the US to the Atlantic. We may cross paths again in Missoula, but they're taking time off to visit their ladies before hand. I've had a blast hanging with Cheech and Chong and will miss their company. I hope to catch up to some folks that are just ahead of me now.

The next few days will be long ones, and soon I'll be eating potatoes in Idaho!

By the way, riding a bike from sea to shining sea is freakin awesome.

3 comments:

  1. This post makes me want to come join you. Happy 500 miles, Stormy! Please eat a potato for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something I learned once upon a time: oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually produced themselves, had they not been invented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you lose your buddies to ride with... :(. They will be friends forever. Sounds as if you had a terrific time with them. Just imagine all of the new friends you will meet along the way.
    You sound just in the clouds riding along across the USA!

    ReplyDelete