June 18, 2012

Lowell to random campground

Day 20. 25 miles. Tired legs.

I woke up to chatter around 5 and finally fell back to sleep until a little after 6, when a Harley engine was crankin. I stayed in my sleeping bag for a while, taking my time to wake up. Hunger won, and I sprang up and proceeded to eat 5 pancakes and hash browns. Five freakin pancakes, and I could have kept eating, but I didn't want to eat all of their food. So I settled for more coffee, oj, and a huge watermelon slice. The motorcycle dudes can sure party and eat well, my belly was happy the whole time.

In addition to breakfast today, I ate 2 apples, a banana, cookies, chips, a few snickers bars, crackers, cheese crackers, a payday, twix, and soup. My diet out here sucks! McKinley and I are already planning on putting together something healthy and delicious in Missoula.

We took our time leaving so we could chat with a few of the guys. They absolutely loved us; it turns out that after 25 years of this party, we were the only bicyclists ever invited. And we're welcome back in the future. They even gave us t shirts. One of the guys said that when we rolled in last night, everyone was happy and there was laughter all around, and food started flying (meaning, we started shoveling it in like wild hogs). Truly a great group of people.

In usual fashion, we took too many breaks and napped in a parking lot for entirely way too long. I think we were so wiped out from yesterday, then being up late and up early. Neither of us had energy, so we took a short day and will make tomorrow extra long. The head winds also sucked at my energy. Idaho is beautiful, but we've been fighting head winds and hills. I won't soon miss biking through this state.

Montana tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment