June 3, 2012

McKenzie Bridge to Sisters

Day 7. 55 miles. Feel the burn.

Last night, I slept in a spare room at the campground. It was cozy and warm, and I was thankful for such kind caretakers, Christa and Dave.

Today, I sustained my first injury of the trip: a bee sting to the right shin. As I flew down McKenzie Pass, I felt a shooting pain and thought a rock kicked up. Nope, apparently I flew into a bee at 30 mph, pissed him off, and he stung the crap out of me. I was going too fast to take a hand off the handle bars to swat him away, and I refused to lose my awesome downhill speed, so I sucked it up and let him sting me until he finished gouging his stinger in my leg. I think it was a yellow jacket.

McKenzie Pass gifted me a 22 mile uphill climb; it wasn't hard, but it felt like it would never end. Around mile 17 I got a little frustrated. It took me 4 hours with breaks to reach the top. I passed 5,000 year old lava fields, and saw the 3 Sisters under tons of snow. The view from the top was just incredible, snow caps galore. The wind whipped, so I didn't stay too long.

The descent was 15 downhill miles, and it led right into Sisters. I met 8 cyclists out for the day on top of the pass, and we rode the last several miles into town together. They invited me to join them for a beer, and I loved finally having some company. Hooray, friends! Most are Oregonians, and Art is from just outside Philly, so we bonded over how awful bagels are outside that region. He biked the TransAm a decade ago, so he was able to offer some advice and mark some hot spots on my map to visit.

Also, I crossed the PCT, so now I can say I set foot on it.

Tonight I'm with WS hosts, Karen, who is an accountant for Altrec, and Steve, who is an insurance adjuster. Wonderful, wonderful people who ride a tandem recumbent and do some local touring as well. Their dog, Zeke, is also a great host, he gives lots of love in the form of licks. Oh, I miss my dog.

It's so beyond my bed time, good night, Sisters.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Patrice, Sounds like awesome people you are staying with and I am so impressed with their hospitality,but then, they're bikies so they are all cool!! Nasty bee. So glad it didn't mess with your descent!
    What a neat experience to set foot on the Pacific Trail!! Loving your journey! Happy pedaling and hope that you hook up with some cool bikies. They all eat bananas as I've heard!! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Patrice..now you're talkin' cold beer..I got similar bee sting on a mountain bike descent..inside thigh...damn thing stuck in my tights....ouch@ doesn't baking soda or something take the sting out? Anyway, you are doing great...and so many people routing for you..you make us proud...more bananas and peanut butter...and yes, the growling appetite of a long ride....sending calif smiles your way.chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trip, thought the bee sting sucks. I had NO idea that you'd be biking surrounded by snow (which shows what little I know about your route!).

    Your pictures are amazing.

    ReplyDelete