June 1, 2012

Corvallis to Coburg

Day 5. 38 miles. Sunny skies, until it just started pouring. It's your fault, Rocket

Today started with an awesome breakfast of a homemade berry smoothie, eggs benedict with organic eggs and coffee. Jeff and Bettina are wonderfully generous hosts!

Jeff rode with me to the edge of town, mainly because it was just too confusing. We parted ways and I thanked him for the hospitality.

Today was flat, sunny, and had a light head wind. It was just enough to let  me know who's boss. I rode Peoria Road for probably 15 miles, and passed by a tree that had a few dozen shoes hanging from the branches. Just like you would see on telephone wires. But, this tree was in the middle of nowhere, odd.

I've been enjoying this trip so much, but today I was in need of a friend. I don't know why, but I just felt blah and uninspired. Maybe it was because I'm badly sun burned and my allergies are raging. If I wasn't sniffling, then snot was dripping all over me. I did, however, FINALLY master a snot rocket. It only took me long enough. I really should wash my booger-infested gloves.

I also mastered the art of eating a bag of doritos while riding. It took me 2 miles to eat the whole bag. I chose cool ranch, an original gangster flavor and an old favorite.

One of the coolest things I've seen: a skate park and basketball court built under a bridge next to the bike path in Corvallis. Awesome use of space.

I hope to make some buddies soon. Once schools let out, more cyclists should be out here.

Here's to another flat day tomorrow, and then a 25 mile ascent up Mackenzie Pass on Sunday!

4 comments:

  1. ..thinking about you..you will have to try gator aid and chips...yum....you will hit riders soon..you are a good karma magnet and wonderful things will happen. I am envious on your kleenex technique...I never could master that either.Next comes spittin'-spare gloves are wonderful. sending good vibes your way from calif

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couple things:
    1. I take full responsibility for the rain.
    2. I don't believe the snot rocket skill until I see it with my own eyes (i.e. hurry up and get home).
    3. Cool ranch is the nastiest dorito flavor. You should try nacho CHEZ.
    4. Helen wants to know what you did when you passed by the horses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the "Snot Rocket" is so attractive. Why does the REAL Rocket come to mind when you mention that?

    ReplyDelete