August 8, 2012

E-town to Springfield

40 miles. Lazy dog days of summer. And I'm back in the home (time) zone!

Today was an epic day of naps and hard-core loitering. Every 5-10 miles we stopped to rest and eat; this biking thing is getting more and more exhausting as the days pass. McKinley took such a snooze that she was drooling all over herself under a lovely old oak tree, while I half napped and sweated like a pig all over myself. I woke up to a soaking wet "pillow" and a slobby wet neck and head. Ah, the joys of bicycle touring.

After that lazy episode, we pushed the bikes across the street to eat at Subway, where we loitered for another hour or so. We discussed the route and then headed out into rush hour traffic. Traffic is awesome.

Five miles later, obviously we needed to take another hour long break to chug Gatorade and enjoy free air conditioning, courtesy of a gas station. Thanks, Marathon!

Kentucky still gets 2 thumbs up, despite the roach motel and cars that honked the mean kind of honks at us. Which, by the way, we didn't hesitate to give the single-digit salute to someone who horned us to death. Yes, it's 2,000 lbs of car versus us, but 3,000 miles and tons of angry drivers later, I've lost patience for aholes behind the wheel. I have pepper spray and I'm not afriaid to use it. McKinley and I discussed the benefits of pepper spraying a driver; turns out, there are none. I'd cause am accident, get arrested, and lose my job. Dang!

I forgot to mention the dog who didn't chase us. When we entered Kentucky, the most notorious state for packs of angry baby-killer dogs that give a healthy chase, we got not chased by a jack russle terrier. For the first time, a dog not only didn't chase us, but ran in the other direction like a timid little puppy. Then he barked when he was in the clear. Well, that's a first. Eastern Kentucky is supposedly horrible for dogs, so I've got my voice on stand-by, along with some high powered pepper spray and a swift kick when necessary. If I have to unclip out of my pedals, look out Kujo, this Jersey girl is on a roll. You can thank the cheap roach motel dude.

Tomorrow will be awesome. We meet back up with Stephanie and Brian, and McKinley's aunt Sandy is coming for a visit. Promise and Whitney will roll into town on Friday, when we will put on dresses and act like civilians for once. Sometimes it's nice to blend into society, though my ridiculous tan lines may say otherwise.

Berea or bust!

Photos: petting Whitney with a piece of grass as she submisses like a puppy, and team VB at Beth and Garry's (from a few days ago)




1 comment:

  1. I am envious of the food!! But can't intake that many calories since I am not living on a bike. I rode a bike 4 miles and back to the beach in Rehoboth, Delaware with my friend on Sunday and thought of you doing the entire country. It's just astounding! Love your small town stories about humans and canines!

    ReplyDelete