August 6, 2012

Sebree, Kentucky and Beth and Garry's

110 miles, collectively.

Attention: we have made it to our 9th state, and our second to last! Time is really winding down, though there's still 1,000 miles that remain.

Bill and Will, McKinley's little bro, dropped us back off in Illinois. We rode up and over the bride to cross the Ohio river, the great separator between Illinois and Kentucky. Since the massive heat wave has finally broken, the temperature was pleasant, and so was our first 50ish miles of Kentucky. Rolling hills and cooler temps made for great riding conditions.

We made it to the First Baptist Church, 20 minutes before dinner at the pastor's house. Whitney and Promise were already at the church for a million hours since they slacked and only biked 27 miles (probably because we are too awesome and didn't want to get ahead of us). Bob and his wife Violet made an awesome dinner of a chicken-veggie spahetti bake with plenty of side dishes. Bob asked me to peel the peaches, a new experience for me, and hustled me to hurry up. He was quite the character, and Violet was as sweet as pie with lots of stories of previous cyclists. Before we left to head back to the church, Violet said the most thoughtful prayer, and I choked up when she asked the big man to keep us AND our bicycles safe. I'm not religious and I don't pray, but her words were beautiful.

Today we did about 60 miles to the home of Beth and Garry. They live in a beautiful home on a ton of acres with a cabin, 3 dogs, 2 cats, and an array of farm animals. Dinner was one of the best yet, a veggie lasagna straight from their garden. I ate so much of it and showed up the girls, not sure if that's a good or bad thing. But I couldn't let there be left overs, that would be a disgrace to the cycling community. Anything for my people.

The 4 of us have a whole cozy cabin to ourselves tonight. Oh, and this is all free of charge. Beth and Garry are amazing hosts and cooks, I'm so thankful for this amazing respite from the daily hard work. I love Kentucky!





No comments:

Post a Comment