August 17, 2012

Marion to Christiansburg

71 miles. Another brush with the law.

Yes, that's right, we had our second brush with the police today. We accidentally followed signs that led us on to an interstate, and before we knew it, it was too late to turn around. Just as we decided to pedal on to the next exit, I heard a siren. We were getting pulled over. On bicycles. Secretely, I loved it. What's funnier than being pulled over on a BICYCLE? The officers laughed, but made us wiggle under a barbed wire fence to get on the right road, which paralleled the highway. We pushed all of our gear under the fence, and he passed us our bikes above it. Off we went, and giggled about what just happened.

Today we sang all sorts of made up songs to pass time. Also, we are trying to learn some Virginia songs to up our karma level. There's one by Louis Armstrong, something about "Carry me back to old Virginnie." If we sing that over and over, that should get the good karma covered. I love Virginia!

We crossed the AT in Atkins today. As soon as we hit the trail, I threw my bike down and went running and screaming down the trail. Excited much? McKinley and I took an extremely short "hike" to say we walked on the trail, and short as in, 50 feet. I remembered the section perfectly as if it were yesterday. It's so weird that I can remember exactly what a lot of it looks like, after seeing 2,000 miles of trees. Lucky for McKinley, she will be back in that exact spot when she thru hikes.

One thing McKinley and I just agreed we definitely will not miss doing: washing our clothes in the shower every night. Soon enough.





1 comment:

  1. Ah, Patrice, you always were a trouble maker! Another brush with the law! Too funny! So bizarre that you are passing the AT and can remember that spot 3 years ago.
    Amazing times! I can't recall ever washing my clothes in the shower, the sink, but not the shower!

    ReplyDelete