August 23, 2012

Williamsburg to Yorktown

13 miles. The end of the line.

We are here in Yorktown, and wheels have been dipped in the water. It's official, we both have biked across the United States.

Just like last night, Yvonne rode behind us in our girly peleton. No big deal, just 2 girls on bicycles and one on a motorcycle. It sure was a badass way to enter Yorktown.

The ride in was a lovely end to this grand adventure; lots of wide road with a large tree canopy. And traffic going into Yorktown wasn't all that bad either.

I can't say I was feeling too emotional, but when I saw the York River, I had a lump in my throat. We pedaled alongside it for a while; just long enough to lose the stupid lump. I think it was the excitement of hitting the coast, and a sigh of relief that I can finally rest my tired body.

We hit the victory monument and high fived on our victory. And Yvonne snapped a million photos for us.

To officiate this journey, we rolled our hogs down to the water to dip our wheels. Success!

Kevin, McKinley's friend, came to take photos and spend the day with us. We all chatted, had celebratory beers, listened to a live jazz concert in town, and toasted with champagne. It was a relaxing day and a fantastic ending.

Right now, I still feel like I have more riding to do, so I'm not feeling too much, emotionally. I'm sure once I'm traveling home, sans McKinley, it will hit me like a ton of bricks. For now, I will enjoy our night in Yorktown.

And...that's a wrap.

More adventures, visits, and surprise over the next few days as I travel home.

Photo: Victory, at the victory monument.


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm so proud of you and McKinley! It is hard to express my appreciation for you for your friendship to McKinley, blogging so that we could read about your and her adventures and just the pleasure of getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You have certainly accomplished quite a lot in your young life. So glad McKinley had such a phenomenal biker bud. You're family now so I'm sure we will see you again. Have a great school year. I'm already looking forward to your next adventure. Love, MoMo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beyond words!! You are strong in both body and mind more than I can imagine! Enjoy your success! Wallow in your accomplishment and know that you can do anything in this world!
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete