August 23, 2012

Lynchburg to Farmville

60 miles. Dinner and a show.

Today we landed at the home of McKinley's relatives, Gary and Cinda, and Cinda's mother, Ginnie. McKinley hadn't seen these generous spirits in about 10 years, so they had lots of catching up to do.

We were treated to a fabulous lunch of fresh salad and tomato soup; It was a soup kind of day, since the rain dumped from the sky. Did I ever mention how I hate being stuck in the rain? Well, I just did.

Lots of relaxing, chatting, and tv watching. A perfect day out in the country.

Cinda cooked such an amazing, healthy dinner, it certainly ranks one of the best of this trip. We had an assortment of roasted veggies and potatoes, faux chicken lettuce wraps, portobello parm, mozzarella and tomato salad, and hot, fresh bread. And a glass of red wine, to boot. Does a meal get any better? I can't wait to be a vegetarian again, the eating is so damn good.

Ginny told us a few choice jokes, one involving a coal miner on his honeymoon. It was slightly naughty, so I'll leave a bit to the imagination. Oh, and Ginny is a witty, soft-spoken woman in her 80's with a dry sense of humor, what a pistol! I asked her if she would join us for the rest of the trip to tell us jokes when we need a pick-me-up. I'm not sure she was convinced.

For the third time since leaving home, I used a computer. I did a little research on car rentals; turns out, it costs an arm and a leg to return the car to a different location. Looks like I'm pedaling home for free. Juuuuussssst kidding. I think I'll be ready to chuck my bike into the Atlantic when I see the water.

Thank you Gary, Cinda and Ginny for taking us in and feeding us 2 delicious meals! Now, for a cozy nights sleep...




No comments:

Post a Comment