August 5, 2012

Mt Pleasant, Tennessee

Partying, southern style.

Bill wanted the surprise to unfold with McKinley and I riding in to the party on bikes. So we rode down the street and up the long, gravel driveway in a driving rain. In dresses And sandals. Emily, McKinley's cousin, came running out and threw her arms around McKinley and proceeded to cry. And then she hugged me while still wiping away the tears. I think the bold entry was a success. Her family was so excited for the surprise, they even welcomed me with hugs and already knew exactly who I was.

The party took place down on the river, where babies splashed in the calf-deep water. The margaritas were strong, and the food was delicious. I've never attended a river party before, it was a very laid-back family party and it was SO. MUCH. FUN. I even tried my hand at kicking Bill's ass in badminton, though I think the score would have been tied if we kept track.

This not-so-restful rest day was one of my favorites so far. I'll be going back to business as usual tomorrow with tired eyes, but so worth the off-route adventure. And we should be meeting back up with Promise and Whitney soon, so that's incentive to bust a move.

Photos: McKinley and I looking way better than we do in bike clothes, and her lovely cousin, Emily, holding an upside down beer. Magic!



1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous girls! You continue to amaze me! I spent the weekend in Lewes, Delaware and rode my bike to the beach with my friend. It was 4 1/2 miles each way and all I could think about was you!! Don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete