August 14, 2012

Middlesboro to Duffield

60 miles. I feel like I'm home.

Attention, attention...is this thing on? We've made it to the tenth state, Virginia, the last on this journey. I feel like I'm being comforted by an old friend, as I make my way through the Appalachians. I love these mountains, they are home to me.

McKinley and I were both extra spunky today, so we sang songs and chatted most of the day. Maybe it was because we are getting so close to finishing? Maybe because we are in Virginia? Or maybe it was that gigantic Cracker Barrel breakfast.

The southern Appalachian mountains are so beautiful, and we were lucky enough to have a million views of them today. Layers upon layers of purpley mountains, just like the views from Max Patch outside of the Smokies.

One hill was just so long and tiring, that we decided to push the bikes for a bit. Well, being that we were moving so slow, we met a friend. I heard a faint meow, and all of a sudden, the most adorable kitten came rumbling down the hillside and onto the highway. She was friendly and purring and craving attention. And because she was so persistent and in need of love, I pushed my allergic reactions aside to love up on her. She crawled all over me, and underneath my reflective vest. I have no idea where she came from since there were no houses around, but I think she was lost; she was bony and hungry. We tried to shoo her back up the hill and away from traffic, it didn't work. I was distraught, thinking of the alternative; we couldn't take her though, neither of us had any way to carry her. So we left her with a bunch of crackers to distract her, and she began to gobble them up immediately. Kitty, I sure hope you found your way back home, because I can't stop thinking about your adorable little face. Oh, and she was part siamese with the classic crossed, blue eyes. I loved that kitty.

I am so tired, my body hurts, and my shorts are becoming thread-barren and see-through. New muscles are beginning to hurt. I never get enough sleep, and climbing short hills now sucks all of my energy dry. At 30 miles, I'm ready to pull over and call it a day, when 2 months ago, 30 miles was one third of my day. We are in the final leg, and my body is saying, "Thank you, now please stop." Hold on, body, we are almost done.

And a big thank you to the employee at the IGA that bought our groceries, that was too kind.







2 comments:

  1. Beyond words, Patrice!! Just amazing! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story of the cat! I hope she's able to survive out in the wild. Can't believe she ate crackers??? VERY desperate.
    Your stories of regular people's kindness is so touching and hopeful. There is SO much negativity and violence in the news that it's refreshing to hear about kind hearted people and I do believe that 99% of people are that way.
    What stories you have!

    ReplyDelete